Sunday, April 12, 2009

Disgusted, appalled - and what not

I am taking time off to blog because I can no longer stand it.

Being a member of my school is something that I am utterly disgusted by.

Firstly let me applaud the school's credit. No doubt, the curriculum here is heavy, and no matter how unorganized it is, it does, at the end of the day teach us many things. Content-wise, of course. Ruling out learning environment, way of studying among other things, the coursework itself is worthy of recognition. Of course, I am sure many will love to disagree in comparison with other schools but to be fair, my verdict is that my school has emphasised on academic work well. The teachers here are overall, hardworking and well prepared when it comes to lessons. Training for CCA is also relatively well and there are many other programmes designed to suit students who have expressed extraordinary interest or talent in certain subjects eg. the math talent class etc. Although many complain about how tiring PE lessons are, I beg to differ, however. Many who are not in CCAs which require movement may not exercise at all. To sum it all up, the school does fairly well in curriculum planning.

But that is about it all. Other than that I see no reason why I should be proud of my school.

The upper class people are a living contradiction. Learning DOES NOT take place purely out of interest and a right set of attitudes. Learning takes place because results have to be shown. And leaders are not picked based on merit and ability, but by their ability to abide to everything the school says. I do not wish to elaborate further on this as I see no point.

I am disgusted and appalled by how ugly man can become. The sins of humanity can be shown clearly in the school. Greed for more results. Total ignorance to how others feel. Applauding and recognising efforts ONLY if results are produced. Picking only the smart ones and always neglecting and putting down the weaker students.

I've had enough of this.

What happens to the education system when a school functions in this manner? When all the authority lies in the hands of those who are blind, and fail to see so many things. Lao Tse said that education and learning takes place through personal experience, and not by theory. Being in this school has taught us how to make everything sound good, and not put it into practice. Awards and results at the end of the day equate to efforts. Not quite a good equation, I should say. And I thought the big boss of it all excelled in math and economics?

Whoever said that Spore is free from corruption? Corruption need not take place involving only physical or monetary aspects. It takes place mentally as well. And that is why I smell a strong stench of rust, mould and what not everywhere in the school.

No doubt, I have to thank the authorities for giving me inspiration of what to think of everytime I dance our syf piece. Breaking out of conformities, huh?

One can only wonder why people say going through school gives students a taste of how society is like. I didn't say it applies to my school, did I?

No comments: